Statements of Economic Interests
Approximately 9,000 employees University-wide are required to complete the Statement of Economic Interests form, based on the criteria identified in the Illinois Governmental Ethics Act (5 ILCS 420/Art. 4A). This form is a retroactive filing to the prior calendar year and must be completed by all identified employees and filed with the Office of the Secretary of State by May 1st annually. Additionally, all required filers must also complete a Supplemental form to comply with Ill. Exec. Order 15-09, issued in January 2015. This form is also due May 1st annually, but is filed with the Illinois Executive Ethics Commission. It is important that all filers recognize and understand the differences between the two forms, as they require very distinct disclosures and are filed with two separate entities.
You should be asked to complete a Statement and the Supplemental form if you met one of the following criteria in the prior calendar :
- persons who serve as a member of the Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois
- persons who are or who function as the head of a department or other administrative unit
- those who have supervisory authority over or direct responsibility for the formulation, negotiation, issuance or execution of contracts entered into by the State (BANNER approval authority, TEM approval authority, etc.)
- those who are a Principal Investigator (PI) or Co-PI on a grant
- those who have supervisory responsibility for 20 or more employees
- those who have responsibility for the procurement of goods and services (University P-Card, travel card, department card, i-Buy, etc.)
The Statement of Economic Interests will be mailed directly to your home mailing address, which is supplied based on the mailing address listed in BANNER at 12/31. If your address has changed, please print and complete a blank form. All completed Statement of Economic Interests forms should be mailed to the University Ethics and Compliance Office for review, prior to being forwarded to the Secretary of State for filing by the May 1st deadline. The Supplemental Statement of Economic Interests forms will be emailed to employees at their university email address, along with a link and unique pin, and should be filed electronically by the May 1st deadline.
For more details related to the Supplemental form, please visit: Supplemental Statement of Economic Interest form page.
Details related to the Statement of Economic Interests can be found in the links below.
Please visit the Filing Procedures section of our website to learn more about the process.
Need the form?
Click here to print a blank form for completion
Need help answering questions on the form?
Click here for step-by-step instructions detailing how to respond to each question
Need to know where to mail the form and when?
Click here for additional information related to deadlines and mailing requirements
Illinois Governmental Ethics Act (5 ILCS 420) -This law defines who must complete a Statement, the questions to be completed on the form, and the timeline for filing and penalties for noncompliance.
Illinois State Officials and Employees Ethics Act (5 ILCS 430/20-23) - When defining the role of ethics officers, this law explains the need for forms to be reviewed by the ethics officer.