Mission & Responsibilities
To be a partner, educator, and source of specialized guidance for the employees of the University of Illinois System. We will join with leaders of the System and its universities to promote ethical conduct, compliance, and stewardship of resources and other assets.
The University Ethics and Compliance Office will support administration of the System and its universities in fulfilling their missions in an environment based on ethical conduct and compliance with applicable laws, rules, and guidance. The University Ethics and Compliance Office is the designated liaison to receive and, as necessary, coordinate and/or refer the investigation of fraud, waste, abuse, mismanagement, misconduct, or other violations of applicable laws, rules or guidelines. The University Ethics and Compliance Office staff manage and respond to the internally managed Ethics Line and designated firstname.lastname@example.org email account. Furthermore, University Ethics and Compliance Office staff are responsible for the development and administration of the Illinois State Officials and Employees Ethics Act mandatory annual ethics training and the Illinois Governmental Ethics Act mandated Statement of Economic Interests review and filing process. Ensuring effective ethics and compliance programs throughout the System is a collaborative effort involving System and university administration, the University-wide Compliance Advisory Committee, managers of all levels, and employees.
To help meet System and university goals and state and Federal requirements, the University Ethics and Compliance Office is designed to:
- Promote an organizational culture that encourages ethical conduct and a commitment to compliance with laws, rules, guidance and policies
- Optimize compliance with policies, procedures, and guidelines, which are based on the expectations defined in the University Code of Conduct
- Enhance decision making at all levels by raising awareness of applicable laws, rules, guidance and policies
- Enhance employee due diligence to proactively detect, report, and respond to actual or perceived violations of law or policy
- Contribute to the System and its universities' reputation for integrity as world-class institutions